Day 29 - A Laxe to Outeiro

With another 34km day looming I had to get a good night’s sleep. Clearly, the mosquito population of A Laxe didn’t get that memo or just didn’t give a shit because they went after me with a vengeance. To try and escape the swarm I would cocoon myself in my sleeping bag, which heated up unbearably within seconds, and then I would have to go up for air and the cycle repeated itself until those little bastards had their fill. So, sleep deprived, I commenced the last 50km to Santiago and was pleasantly surprised at how green the outskirts of Santiago were. I merrily bumbled through the all-too-familiar fields, backroads, and forest paths that reminded me a bit of the Australian bush, with their eucalyptus trees and ferns, making me feel a little homesick. I finally arrived at the albergue late in the afternoon, completed my routine, and then asked for directions to the nearest bar. It was 4km back the way I had come. In desperation, I raided the kitchen pantry and managed to scrape together enough ingredients to MacGyver a fairly shithouse final pilgrim’s meal. The starter was a baguette with olive oil and balsamic dressing. The main was a handful of pasta with a tomato, curry, and onion powder sauce. Dessert was black coffee and two little Madeira cake singles. Considering that the alternative was to eat my own fingernails I was grateful for every morsel. So with a full belly and a decent night’s sleep, I should be ready to complete tomorrow’s short and final stage to Santiago de Compostela!

Distance - 34km 

Difficulty - ⭐️⭐️⭐️/5

Camin-Oh no! - Arriving at an albergue with zero food options.

Camin-Oh hell yeah! - Leftover pilgrim food supplies!

@caminoagogo

Go to previous post                                                                                            Go to next post