Day 30 - Outeiro to Santiago de Compostela

Well, I made it. I actually arrived yesterday but it’s been such a whirlwind 24 hours that I haven’t had a chance to put pen to paper, or thumbs to screen in this instance. The walk into Santiago was easy terrain-wise, but this stretch was the most poorly marked I’d come across. I actually got lost coming into Santiago and somehow ended up entering via the Francés entrance. It was the first time in 798 kilometers that I had taken a wrong turn so cut me some slack. Sheesh! Tough crowd. Anyway, as soon as I heard the piper playing, I knew that I was close. I walked into the plaza, dropped my pack in front of the Cathedral, and cried. I was just so happy and grateful to be standing here, a place that I’d been dreaming of for almost two years. Once I composed myself I sought out the only familiar face, a Brazilian guy that always called me Grant, and asked him to take the obligatory Me and the Cathedral pic. Once that was done I grabbed my Compostela, checked into my hotel, showered, and then enjoyed celebratory beers and tapas with some Camino friends that I bumped into at the Pilgrim’s Office. The bar was right next to the office so we cheered and clapped for every pilgrim that limped wearily past. The cheers got louder as the nips got bigger and our fellow pilgrims absolutely loved it. It was the perfect way to celebrate our achievement, the friendships we had made and the fact that we no longer had to carry a God damned backpack uphill and down dale, day after day. That said though, this was the greatest adventure I’ve ever had and I’m going to miss it dearly. 

Now it’s always nice to end with a quote, so here’s one that I heard about six months ago and have been waiting for a chance to use. It seems fairly apt to use it now:

"I found my heart upon a mountain I did not know I could climb, and I wonder how many other pieces of myself are secreted away in places I judge I cannot go." -Laurel Bleadon-Maffei

Distance - 16km 

Difficulty - ⭐️/5

Camin-Oh no! - That this amazing adventure has come to an end. For now anyway. 

Camin-Oh hell yeah! - The indescribable joy, love, friendship, and goodwill that is in that plaza when you arrive. It is truly magical.

PS - If you’re reading this, you’re probably considering whether or not you can do this. The answer is Yes, you can. Book your flight and do this because it is a life-changing experience that you will never forget. Would I lie to you?! DO IT!


@caminoagogo

Go to previous post                                                                                            Go to next post