Day 20 - Villar de Mazariffe to Astorga

Here lies a broken man. You know that I’m a shell of my former self when I decide to go to bed at 7pm rather than watch the Eurovision final. Over 30km with the mercury topping out at a balmy 10 degrees and an icy headwind coming at you the whole damned time. Oh, and my ankle decided to spit chips about 10km into the proceedings. It really was a perfectly dreadful combination. Once I stumbled into Astorga I did the usual routine of wash me, wash my clothes, and then headed to Gaudi’s Palacio Episcopal, still the most beautiful building I’ve ever been in, and then grabbed an early dinner. Unfortunately, I was seated next to an American that gave the whole restaurant a blow-by-blow description of his bee sting/anaphylaxis experience (if I hear the term “Sting sack” again I’ll stick my head in a hive) and followed it up with a story about how he told Gerry to get a travel card rather than use his Amex. Bravo. So enough negatives, how about a few positives? Well, dinner was good AND Gore-Tex had a pop-up clinic outside my albergue where I had someone look at my ankle. My Spanish is pretty mediocre at best, but I’m pretty sure that my physio’s offsider told him not to tape my leg due to the sheer volume of leg hair that I have. He made the right call. Well, it’s time to massage my ankle a little more and turn in. Goodnight, y’all. 

Distance - 31.2km

Difficulty- ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5

Camin-Oh no! - Strong headwinds. 

Camin-Oh hell yeah! - Not having to practically wax my leg when I remove the tape on my ankle. 

@caminoagogo

Go to previous post                                                                                                            Go to next post