Day 8 - Najera to Grañón

Six bells tolled; My cue to set sail for Grañón. I walked by the light of the full moon, snow-capped mountains before me, and a chill in the air. It was a magic morning. I trudged on through icy winds and stopped at Santo Domingo de la Calzada, where I visited the Cathedral which contains, of all things, a chicken coop. The story behind this involves lust, betrayal, the hangman, and the resurrection of a chicken. I shit you not. This was just too good to pass up! Hearing a rooster crow in a cathedral is quite a surreal experience and I couldn’t get Tina Turner shrieking “Church House, Hen House” out of my head for the next however many kilometers. I finally reached my destination, the church of Iglesias San Juan Bautista, which also doubles as my hostel for the night. Right now, however, I’m sipping icy cold cerveza grandes at a bar called ‘My Way’, listening to Frank Sinatra sing ‘My Way’ whilst on ‘The Way’. Perfection.

Distance - 28km

Difficulty - ⭐️⭐️⭐️/5

Camin-Oh no! - Long stretches of hard ground. 

Camin-Oh hell yeah! - Big ass, ice cold glasses of Estrella. 

@caminoagogo

Go to previous post                                                                                                            Go to next post