Day 25 - O’Cebreiro to Samos

Well, I didn’t expect to end up in the village of Samos today but here we are! My original plan this morning was to have a relatively cruisey 20km day and finish in Triacastella, but after a couple of strong coffees at breakfast, I thought bugger it, I reckon I’m up for the challenge. It was a tough afternoon, however the walk from Triacastella was a lovely one, consisting of green, forest paths through little hamlets and parallel to the river for most of it. The icing on the cake was the monastery in Samos, dating back to the 6th Century and one of the oldest monasteries in the Western world, which also happens to be where I’m sleeping tonight. It’s not often that you get to say that. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the monastery had hot showers, which seems rather non-monastic to me but I sure as hell wasn’t going to bring it up. Another benefit is that I can now say to any further albergue with a cold shower that “I’ve stayed in 1500-year-old monasteries with better hot water systems than this shithole!” The benefits just keep adding up.

Distance - 31.2km

Difficulty - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5

Camin-Oh no! - Underestimating how difficult an extra 10km is after 20km of downhill action.

Camin-Oh hell yeah! - Discovering that the bar across from the monastery has a wicked vinyl collection and is pumping surf guitar covers of the classics. Una cerveza más, por favor!

@caminoagogo

Go to previous post                                                                                                            Go to next post