Day 8 - Salas to Tineo

So after yesterday’s impromptu degustation meal, I figured I’d sleep pretty well. Especially considering that there was only myself and one other pilgrim in the albergue. It turns out that I was dead wrong once again and that I’ve done something to summon the ire of the sleep gods.  This time my tormentor came in the form of a mosquito. This thing ate me alive! Not only that, it strategically placed its proboscis where my eyelid meets the bridge of my nose, rendering me a little Thom Yorke-ish. What a great start to the day. 


Apart from that, I must say that I really enjoyed Salas. The Albergue I stayed in was wonderful, with the vegetarian dinner a welcome change. It was just myself and a Danish bloke last night at dinner, so from the outside, it would look like we were on a first date. Before that, I was sipping cervezas with two Scotsman on the patio, happy to not be using that part of the brain that controls my god-awful Spanish for a change.


Today’s stage was a short but hilly 19.7 km, with the thermometer threatening to hit 28C. With the looming heat, I grabbed my pack and hit the road, determined to smash it out in five hours and avoid the hottest part of the day.


The trail was beautiful today, with little road walking. Most of the day I was on earthen trails through farmlands, with the fields dropping away to the valley and the mountains in the distance to my left my constant companions. The villages I went through also seemed to be very proud of the Camino, and “Buen Camino” was a common greeting. 


The entry into Tineo made for an interesting soundscape. At first, I was greeted by bagpipes. Then one block down I was greeted with Gregorian chanting. One block further still and my hat was almost blown off my head by the enthusiastic Spanish banter blasting at me. At first, I thought it was a political rally. Thankfully though it turned out to be the animated commentary of a local bicycle race, whose finish line is right outside my albergue, and which doubled as my finish line. 


Distance - 19.7Km 


Difficulty - ⭐️⭐️⭐️ & a half/5


Camin-oh no! - Mosquitoes. 


Camin-oh hell yeah! - Discovering that the albergue you’re staying at, called Albergue Palacio de Meras, is not just a clever name and is indeed a palace.


@caminoagogo