Day 7 - Grado to Salas

If there’s one rule on the Camino it’s to be considerate to other pilgrims, especially when waking up and exiting the albergue. That rule was thrown out the window this morning it seems as the two guys in the bunks below me switched on the lights and started rooting through plastic bags at 6AM. To make things worse, they didn’t even leave the premises until 7:30! Lucky for them my Spanish is terrible and I didn’t have the words to assemble a vitriolic spray. Hopefully, my huffing, puffing, and putting the pillow over my head sent a strong message. That sure showed them. 


After the cacophony died down I decided to forgo trying to get back to sleep and grabbed my gear, grabbed breakfast, and hit the trail. I was rewarded with a beautiful sunrise, so I guess it wasn’t all bad. 


Today was the usual mix of villages, farmlands, forest trails, and riverside strolls that I enjoy so much, but with the mercury hitting 27C and a few long stretches without shade, by the time I ambled into Salas I was beat. 


After settling into my albergue and going through my usual routine I wanted to grab something small to eat and a beer. I walked to the nearest bar, Casa Pachón, and asked for a menu. The next thing I know a punch bowl full of soup arrived at the table. Having no idea what was going on, I asked my Spanish friend, Diego, what just happened. It turns out that I had just accidentally ordered the four-course Menu del Dia, which consisted of soup, stew, meat and potatoes, and dessert. Luckily for me, the food was amazing and I rolled out a happy yet concerned man, as I also have a three-course vegetarian dinner coming my way in three hours.


Distance - 22.1Km 


Difficulty - ⭐️⭐️⭐️ & a half/5


Camin-oh no! - Inconsiderate pilgrims. 


Camin-oh hell yeah! - A communication breakdown that actually had a positive outcome for a change.


@caminoagogo