Day 5 - Mieres to Oviedo, and the end of the Camino San Salvador!

With only 18 and a bit kilometers between me, Oviedo, and the end of the Camino San Salvador, nothing was going to stop me exploding into the Cathedral, sticks a’clackin’, credencial poised for stampin’, grabbing that Salvadorana certificate with both hands and making a beeline for the reliquary. That is of course except for something called Asturias Day, a public holiday in this region that is an unexpected spanner to my plans. 

Unfortunately due to this, the Cathedral is closed except for church services, which means no stamp, no Salvadorana and no looking at dusty old bits of saints. This isn’t ideal, but if the Camino teaches you anything it’s to roll with the punches. I’ve decided to make a late start tomorrow and visit the Cathedral before hitting the first stage of the Camino Primitivo. 


Thankfully this was today’s only disappointment with the final stretch into Oviedo turning out to be surprisingly lovely. I cruised through pretty towns, forest paths, and rural suburbs with some of the biggest hórreos I’ve seen on any Camino so far, with various homegrown produce lined up proudly along their edges. I’m led to believe that some of this produce will make an appearance at tonight’s Asturias Day celebrations in Oviedo. Until that happens though I’m going to grab a beer near the finish line, cool my heels and keep an eye out for my Camino buddies, Juan, Jose, and Cesar. Then it’s time for the Asturian delicacies of sidra and cachopo.


Before I close off this post I will say that the Camino San Salvador is a rugged, testing, and jaw-droppingly beautiful Camino. It’s certainly not for newbies or the faint of heart, it’s serious business. If I do it again I would give myself six days instead of five to break up the stretch from Llanos de Someron to Mieres. If none of the above or my previous posts have scared you off, go and do it, you’ll love it!


Edit: I managed to get my Salvadorana from the Municipal Albergue so no late start is required. Oh yeah!


Distance - 18.8Km 


Difficulty - ⭐️⭐️⭐️/5


Camin-oh no! - Not being able to get my final stamp and Salvadorana at the Cathedral due to it being a public holiday. 


Camin-oh hell yeah! - Getting to enjoy the Asturias Day celebrations.


@caminoagogo