Day 4 - Llanos de Someron to Mieres

Today can be summed up in one word: Uninspiring.

As the mountains recede into the distance we find fewer trails, more roadside walking, and bigger towns with their drab industrial areas to walk in and out of. It was a fairly quick comedown from the preceding two day’s natural beauty.


The highlight of today’s walk was easily the pre-Romanesque church, Santa Cristina de Lena, a UNESCO World Heritage Site dating back to the 9th century, and sitting high upon a hill. The simple exterior belies the beauty within, with its vaulted ceilings and carved columns, and altarpieces. A definite must-see.


Knowing that today was going to be tough, more for the distance than the terrain, I treated myself to a nice hotel rather than an albergue.  This was a smart move as it motivated me to keep going when energy levels were dwindling and allows me to rest my weary bones in peace in preparation for the final 20 km of the Camino San Salvador.


Distance - 31.9Km 


Difficulty - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5


Camin-oh no! - Walking without my three companions - Juan, Jose, and Cesar. I had nobody to whinge at about how god-awful this stretch was. 


Camin-oh hell yeah! - Having Teva sandals to change into when my blister decided to let me know that it was still there.


@caminoagogo