Day 18 - Salceda to Santiago de Compostella

After a solid night’s sleep, I hit the ground running, almost literally, as I smashed out this stage in five hours, overtaking everyone in my path and walking into Praza do Obradoiro as the cathedral bells tolled at 1PM. Why so fast? Because this part of the trail isn’t particularly lovely AND I just wanted to get past the throng. 


Despite Santiago being just a waypoint instead of the destination this time around I couldn’t help but tear up as I heard those bagpipes playing and turned into the Plaza. It’s such a special place with so much love and goodwill that it just hits you. It’s palpable and I love it so. 


After greeting a few familiar places I decided to hit up the Pilgrim’s Office for my Compostella and visit St James in his crypt to tick a few boxes and make things easier upon my return in a few days. Then it was check-in, menu del dia, beers with friends, and then, something completely selfish and long overdue: Drink some hop-driven craft beers at O Bandullo do Lambón. Man, I’ve missed hop character!


And now, to bed, for tomorrow the Camino Finisterre begins!


Distance - 27.6Km 


Difficulty - ⭐️/5


Camin-oh no! - Saying farewell to friends you’ve met along the way.


Camin-oh hell yeah! - Finding a craft beer bar in SDC and discovering Basqueland Brewing! Their WCIPAs are fucking good!


@caminoagogo