Day 16 - Ferreira to Melide

After a wonderful night and a big breakfast at Albergue Ponte Ferreira, I headed off on today’s short and predominantly flat stage, which was a welcome change from the previous two big-kilometer stages. Because of the low number of kilometers, I decided to take my time and bounced from bar to bar, “refueling” at each stop, and arrived at Melide a little after 1PM. Melide is where the Camino Primitivo and Frances meet, is famous for its Pulpo (boiled octopus dusted with paprika), and is where pilgrim numbers swell substantially.

The only moment worth noting today is when I incorrectly veered off the trail, only to be confronted by a large barking dog. This in turn set off another large barking dog to my left. Then another two appeared at my 11 o’clock. This is it, I thought, this is how my Camino ends, being torn apart by four large dogs. I could do nothing but grip my walking poles tighter, pretend I wasn’t shitting bricks, and walk by as casually as anyone confronted by four hounds of hell could possibly do. I have no idea whether they bought my ruse or I totally misunderstood their intentions, but whatever the case I’m extremely grateful that I didn’t cross paths with these guys before they’d had breakfast.


The temperature is due to hit 29C here in about an hour, so I think an air-conditioned bar, cold beer, reuniting and playing ‘Shithead’ with my tramily, and a dinner of Pulpo will be in my near future. Hopefully no more wild dogs though. 


Distance - 19.1Km 


Difficulty - ⭐️/5


Camin-oh no! - The sharp spike in pilgrim numbers once we hit Melide.


Camin-oh hell yeah! - Getting the band back together.


@caminoagogo