Day 12 - Grandas de Salime to A Fonsagrada

I awoke to a fog-shrouded A Fonsagrada morning. Reluctantly I climbed out of bed at 7:30AM and headed off into the ether. Bells tinkled softly in the fields around town, hanging from what I can only assume were the necks of cows or horses. Before long I found myself in a scene straight out of the Lord of the Rings. The trail wound its way through a forest, with the trees creating a tunnel overhead, the fog enveloping everything, and sunlight just managing to filter through. It was amazing and I didn’t want this section to end. Want as I might, the fog eventually lifted, the sun came out and the humidity skyrocketed, making for a sticky old day. 


Today’s trail was fairly straightforward, alongside or parallel to the road, through tiny towns, and with only two steep and challenging sections, the last of which, in true Camino style, was a steep, one-kilometer trudge into today’s endpoint, A Fonsagrada. We also crossed from Asturias into Galicia, with their familiar bollards pointing the way and letting me know how many kilometers to my final destination. They were a welcome AND informative sight. 


After yesterday’s culinary success, my end-of-day routine has evolved to include a menu del dia. With three delicious courses under my belt, I’m now relaxing with a rather rare (on the Camino at least) Belgian Dubbel, the perfect end to another Camino stage.  


Distance - 25.7Km 


Difficulty - ⭐️⭐️⭐️ & a half/5


Camin-oh no! - Being assigned the bunk right next to Mr. 5:30AM. This should be fun. 


Camin-oh hell yeah! - Sheets and towels!


@caminoagogo